top of page
starting this project i already had a website that i used to store work and to update my blog, therefore i started upgrading it so that i could use it for this project, firstly i changed it from a pink background to a yellow one as this both fit my cv and also felt more open.
HOWEVER I DID ALSO CREATE PORTFOLIOS ON SQUARE SPACE AND ABODE PORTFOLIO AS I WANTED TO ENSURE THAT I COULD CREATE PAGES WITH MORE THAN JUST SIMPLE LAYOUTS WITH ONE ELEMENT FOLLOWING THE NEXT, WHICH IN THE END LED ME BACK TO WIX, AS I FEEL IT IS THE BEST FIT FOR ME AS IT ALLOWS ME TO BE CREATIVE WITH MY LAYOUT.
I HAVE HAD A FEW ISSUES WITH MY WEBSITE IN THE WEEK LEADING UP TO HANDING MY PROJECT IN, WITH LAYOUTS CHANGING COMPLETELY WHEN THE WEBSITE IS ZOOMED IN AND ALSO THE ISSUE OF IMAGES NOT LOADING WHEN THE WEBPAGE IS FIRST LOADED AND IT NEEDING TO BE REFRESHED A FEW TIMES, I HAVE TRIED TO SOLVE THESE ISSUES AS BEST I CAN HOWEVER THEY SEEM TO BE PROBLEMS THAT ARE EMBEDDED IN THE WEBSITE ITSELF.
i secondly became more selective with my content, deleting work that i felt did not reflect my skills, and also adding sections to make my website more user friendly, for example; as well as having the portfolio section, that describes my work in detail, i also have the galleries section that simply shows all of my work together that is easy for people to view without the explanation
throughout the time creating my website i have made many changes, as i started off with a website and transformed into the portfolio that it is, i have changed the font to be more easy to read, and i only have one typeface all over my website, i feel that this makes my work look more professional as there is continuity throughout the website which represents me as a brand.
i found that optimising my website to a mobile view was very time consuming also, mainly due to the fact that the optimising tool rearranges the text boxes and photographs into its own order that i have then had to manually put back to being right, i feel that a morestraightforwardd layout would have made this easier. but i wanted to challenge myself creatively.
one of the major changes is to my about me page, i have got rid of the shot of my trip to the zine library in 'nexus art cafe' at the start of term 2 in first year and have instead pushed my short synopsis of me to the top and replaced the image with a more blown up version of my cv as, although my cv is accessible through the 'portfolio' tab, this allows it to be seen more clearly.
another way i have 'upgraded' my website is the way in which i have displayed my social media, which is arguably one of the most important aspects in terms of networking, and creating your own presence online, I have removed 'social media' from my website header and from my about me section and instead have inserted a button for my linked in and instagram to the footer of each page so that it is always accessible and does not take up valuable space for content on my website.
throughout my website i have dotted small illustrations to make my work more personable, these have come into play mostly in my tab marked 'personal work' as when you click on personal work, an illustration of a diary pops up and you can then access each section of my personal work by clicking on the relevant illustration.
i have removed the drop-down menu from appearing when personal work is hovered over as i felt that people viewing my website would accidentally bypass the illustrations which give the website a more interactive feel.
i have not displayed all work from every workshop on website, instead i have been selective and displayed only the best work to ensure that the website in its self does not come across as too chaotic for the viewer.
i have also changed my header, i have done this by adding an illustration to it that features on my cv, i feel that, similarly with using the same yellow that is on my cv, by using the illustration, it develops my 'brand' more as an online presence and makes me more recognisable when people are flicking between my channels.
i have also changed the text in my header to red as this stands out more against the sketched illustrations.
however, after returning back to my header i have decided to dial the opacity to 40% and to bring the text colour back to black as i prefer the way it blends with the rest of my website
bottom of page